Fix 503 Service Unavailable Error
What is HTTP error 503 and how to fix it
Microsoft IIS servers provide more specific information about 503 errors by adding an additional number to the error code.
- 503.0 - Application pool unavailable. The request is sent to an application pool that is currently stopped or that is currently disabled.
- 503.2 - Concurrent request limit exceeded.
- 503.3 - ASP.NET queue full. The appConcurrentRequestLimit property is set to a value that is lower than the current number of concurrent requests.
Retry-After: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:00:00 GMT Retry-After: 120
If you are writing your own web application in PHP, you can respond with 503 status code with the following code:
$protocol = "HTTP/1.1"; header( "$protocol 503 Service Unavailable", true, 503 ); header( "Retry-After: 120" );
HTTP 503 error codes and GoogleIf you send an HTTP error 503 code for your robots.txt, Google will halt all the crawling on your domain until it's allowed to crawl the robots.txt again.
This is actually a very useful way of preventing load on your server when doing maintenance. It still requires you to send a 503 for every URL on your server, including all static ones, but after Google has re-fetched the robots.txt it’ll probably stop hammering your server(s) for a while.
Debug 503 Service Unavailable Errors with HTTP DebuggerHTTP Debugger automatically detects and highlights red the 503 status codes. The error details are aviable in the response details pane.
Copyright Notice: Please don't copy or translate this article without prior written permission from the HTTPDebugger.com
Read more articles
HTTP Debugger is a proxy-less HTTP sniffer for developers that provides the ability to
capture and analyze HTTP headers,
cookies, POST params, HTTP content and CORS headers from any browser or desktop
Very easy to use, with clean UI, and short ramp-up time.
Download FREE 7-Day Trial
HTTP Debugger Pro
- See all in/out HTTP traffic, HTTP headers, cookies, POST params, HTTP content
- Isolate and fix performance bottlenecks, detect and eliminate security issues
- Very easy of use, clean UI, and short ramp-up time. Not a proxy, no network issues!